Quinn’s Secret Garden in Nicaragua

One of my favorite movies growing up was the classic film, The Secret Garden. I watched it over and over again with my mom and since then I’ve always had a secret desire to have a little garden of my own. For the first time in my life, here in Laguna de Apoyo, I have my very own garden! Well, honestly it’s the hostel’s, but when the hostel is closed and it’s just us on property, it feels like its all mine.

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

It’s a wonderful garden, more fantastic than anything I could have ever dreamt of in California. It’s filled with beautiful bright colored flowers and butterflies of all patterns scatter throughout.

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

There are tropical plants I’ve never seen before, coconut trees and mango trees.

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

But my favorite parts of the garden, are the different veggies, spices and herbs we have growing in our very own front yard. We have basil, cilantro, hot little peppers, bell peppers, tomatoes and jalepenos.

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

I love going over to the garden to pick the ingredients we need when JB & I make spicy chicken curry, spaghetti or homemade pad-kee-mao.We’ve been getting really creative in the kitchen during this quiet month all to ourselves, so having our own homegrown ingredients to use in the dishes has been an extra treat.

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

Everything in our garden inspires me in different ways. The herbs, spices & veggies inspire me to get creative in the kitchen. The flowers, butterflies and tropical plants create the perfect atmosphere for me to be my most creative self when working on everything from our LOOTB website & store, to business development, marketing and especially in my writing. The garden overall also fuels my passion for photography and inspires me to take pictures of my surroundings daily. It’s not just a garden to me–its a place that inspires my creativity, promotes my growth as a person and makes me appreciate every aspect of the beautiful nature around me. How can it not? I mean look at these pictures…

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

The veggies in Nicaragua that we purchase from the markets are locally grown, which we love and are of course supportive of back at home. The difference, however, is that the locally grown fruits and veggies are LESS expensive than the mass production/imported produce–which, logically, is how it should be right? Well having our own produce to cook with is the ultimate option because not only do we know it’s super fresh, free of pesticides and 100% organic– it’s also free! Now that’s the best of all worlds.

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

My favorite place to eat in all of Nicaragua is right in the middle of our garden on a little table overlooking the laguna (and the flowers that surround us) with JB. I love our garden. And although I may not have a hidden key to enter it, I still like to call it my “secret garden”. Being located on a private resort in Nicaragua is secret enough, right?

Life Out of the Box in Laguna de Apoyo, Nicaragua

See the whole beauty of Q’s garden in photos:

0 thoughts on “Quinn’s Secret Garden in Nicaragua

1. Aunt Elise says:

My favorite movie too! I love the pictures and I love seeing how happy, healthy and peaceful you look. I cannot wait to see the resort and you in your new home away from home. Love you and love to JB, xoxox AE

2. indacampo says:

Our garden is still in the “work in progress” stage but we have many of the same plants. I envy your herb garden! I noticed that you had some poppies, I was looking at some seeds the other day and I may try them. There sure aren’t many things that have fragrance but they sure are pretty. Are you getting much more rain? We sure haven’t been!

• lifeoutofthebox says:

I highly recommend the poppies! They’re a wonderful bright orange that always makes the garden look sunny and colorful. Gardens are always a work in progress, but that’s the fun part about them right? :) We haven’t been getting nearly as much as we expected, but are sure enjoying the warm sun! Hope all is well with you.
      Cheers,
      Quinn

3. Martino says:

Quinnie… what a peaceful and pleasant environment you have created. Your pictures are splendid but your words are even more pictorial.
    Thanks for a ray of Nica sunshine on a wet SF day!

Love
    Martino

4. Delfino says:

I know the feeling of “attaching” to someone else’s garden. I did a lot of WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms)stops on my longer travels (Australia, New Zealand, France, Italy.) By the way, you should check out Rancho Mastatal in Costa Rica when your’e there. I think you guys would have a lot in common.

5. Pingback: Quinn’s Secret Garden in Nicaragua « johndwmacdonald

6. theloveculture says:

Love this so much. Love your out of the box business, and your SWING! :) Also, just recently, I’ve been journeying with the story of the The Secret Garden and have been spoken to so much from the movie starring Margaret O’Brien. Also… if you’ve not heard it already, here’s a beautiful song of devotion of our inner secret garden, by Misty Edwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUW5dkoCjnU

7. southernheart1 says:

I’m another one who loves the “Secret Garden”, the book which I read as a child is still one of my favorites now that I’m a grandmother-and the original movie was wonderful. Your secret garden is lovely…and the butterflies are so brilliant and beautiful! Thank you for sharing this.

8. badgersgardening says:

Such a beautiful garden. I love to see gardens that really make people enjoy and show life to the fullest, attracting the people and the wildlife around to it. My aim is to give people the same beauty in their own gardens here in the UK. Thanks for sharing this, really enjoyed this post.

9. wanderingimages says:

The Secret Garden. One of my favorite childhood books and it still sits on my book shelf and I’m in my forties. I started reading your blog from the beginning … You both are an inspiration. I think I’ve read most and trying to catch up with your last few posts. Also love all the inspirational videos you have shared. Best of luck on the rest of your journey.

• lifeoutofthebox says:

Cool. Thanks for your comment. We will try to make more videos. It means a lot to us to know you have followed us from the beginning and you are reading our older posts. Thank you so much for everything that you do.

10. Distance Landaverde says:

It reminds me of my summer visits to my Tia Moncha’s in Dos Rios Costa Rica we had a family of sloths hanging from the trees in her garden I love it there. I miss mornings making cheese and grinding corn for tortillas that was the life. Your garden is beautiful. Last time of was in Nicaragua there was much civil strife.